Dear Crystal Sugarbeet Grower:
View Trial Procedures
View Official Trial Location Sites
The 2005 official coded variety performance trials conducted by American Crystal included 14 sites. Thanks to the dedicated Technical Services staff involved in official trial plot care, harvest, and analysis. Heavy early season rains and root diseases impacted the trials. The 2005 data has been combined with 2004 and 2003 data, and results are enclosed.
Three-year results are summarized into three agronomic districts. You are receiving data from all three districts plus the all location summary. One Drayton commercial trial site and two Rhizomania trials were lost due to heavy rains and non uniform growth. Commercial trials for all three years were planted to stand (5.1 inch). Rhizomania, Aphanomyces, and semi commercial trials were planted to stand at 4.5 inch. Revenue calculations in 2005 were based on a hypothetical $39.94 payment at 17.5% sugar and 1.5% SLM and do not consider hauling costs. Results from the Rhizomania sites were good to excellent. Yield losses with susceptible commercial checks ranged from moderate to very severe in the Rhizomania trials. Fusarium evaluation was initiated for the first time in 2005 on 21 entries submitted for evaluation in two Minnesota and two Montana sites. Fusarium ratings are averaged across the four sites. These results and additional information for individual growing sites will also be placed on the World Wide Web at www.crystalsugar.com. More detailed information will be printed later in the Sugarbeet Research and Extension Reports (www.sbreb.org).
Click here to open a pdf file with the following trials information:
- List of varieties approved for sale to Crystal growers.
- Three-year, all districts, performance of approved varieties.
- Multi-year performance of specialty Rhizomania approved varieties under various disease levels.
- Three-year performance of Aphanomyces specialty approved varieties.
- Two-year performance of all approved varieties (full market, test market & specialty) from non-disease sites.
- Mhd/Hlb district, three-year performance of approved varieties.
- Crk/EGF district, three-year performance of approved varieties.
- Drayton district, three-year performance of approved varieties.
- Three-year, all districts, performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Mhd/Hlb district, three-year performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Crk/EGF district, three-year performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Drayton district, three-year performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Trial sites, disease observations and agronomic info from all trial locations.
Herbicide resistant varieties developed using biotechnology (GMO) will not be allowed to be sold, given away, distributed, or planted in year 2006. Data for biotech entries are not included since they are not approved for sale.
Before purchasing seed, please check to make sure the varieties you are buying are on the current approval list. In accordance with the grower contract, the cooperative has the option to refuse to purchase beets of a non-approved variety. If you have questions, please contact the Crystal Technical Services Center or your Agriculture Department.
Download Trials in Excel format (Grower Mailing - 3 year data)
Links to 2005 data only follow:
William S. Niehaus
Official Trial Manager