Dear Crystal Sugarbeet Grower:
View Trial Procedures
View Official Trial Location Sites
The 2004 official coded variety performance trials conducted by American Crystal included 13 harvested sites. Non-uniform seedling emergence and difficult soil conditions during harvest impacted the trials. Thanks to the Technical Services staff involved in official trial plot care and harvest. The 2004 data has been combined with 2003 and 2002 data, and results are enclosed.
Three-year results are summarized into three agronomic districts. One Aphanomyces trial and the three trials in the Drayton area were lost due to non uniform growth, severe root maggot infection, and extremely wet harvest conditions. Commercial trials for all three years were planted to stand (5.1 inch). Semi commercial trials were overseeded and thinned to a final stand. Six Rhizomania and two Aphanomyces trials were planted to stand at 4.5" spacing. Revenue calculations in 2004 were based on a hypothetical $39.85 payment at 17.5% sugar and 1.5% SLM and do not consider hauling costs. In 2004, Rhizomania specialty trials were expanded from five to six sites. Results from the Rhizomania sites were good to excellent. Susceptible commercial checks averaged 59% of resistant checks at one site and 83% across all six sites. More detailed information will be printed later in the Sugarbeet Research and Extension Reports (www.sbreb.org).
Click here to open a pdf file with the following trials information:
- List of varieties approved for sale to Crystal growers.
- Three-year, all districts, performance of approved varieties.
- Two-year performance of specialty Rhizomania approved varieties under various disease levels.
- Two-year performance of all approved varieties (full market & specialty) from non-disease sites.
- Two-year performance of specialty (Aphanomyces, Rhizomania, and Rhizoctonia) approved varieties.
- Mhd/Hlb district, three-year performance of approved varieties.
- Crk/EGF district, three-year performance of approved varieties.
- Drayton district, three-year performance of approved varieties.
- Three-year, all districts, performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Mhd/Hlb district, three-year performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Crk/EGF district, three-year performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Drayton district, three-year performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Soil test results from all trial locations.
Herbicide resistant varieties developed using biotechnology (GMO) will not be allowed to be sold, given away, distributed, or planted in year 2005. Data for biotech entries are not included since they are not approved for sale.
Before purchasing seed, please check to make sure the varieties you are buying are on the current approval list. In accordance with the grower contract, the cooperative has the option to refuse to purchase beets of a non-approved variety. If you have questions, please contact the Crystal Technical Services Center or your Agriculture Department.
Download Trials in Excel format (Grower Mailing - 3 year data)
Links to 2004 data only follow:
William S. Niehaus
Official Trial Manager