Dear Crystal Sugarbeet Grower:
View Trial Procedures
View Official Trial Location Sites
The 2003 official coded variety performance trials conducted by American Crystal were excellent. A record number of trials at fifteen sites were harvested including five sites with Rhizomania symptoms. Thanks to the Technical Services staff involved in official trial plot care and harvest. The 2003 data has been combined with 2002 and 2001 data, and results are enclosed.
Three-year data are summarized into three agronomic districts. You are receiving data from all three districts plus the all location summary. Commercial trials for all three years were planted to stand (5.3 inch). Semi commercial trials were overseeded and thinned to a final stand. Revenue calculations in 2003 were based on a hypothetical $40.09 payment at 17.5% sugar and 1.5% SLM and do not consider hauling costs. Data for 2003 came from 17 sites (see page 14). In 2003, Rhizomania specialty trials were expanded from two to five sites. Data from the Rhizomania sites were good to excellent. Susceptible checks average 68% of resistant checks at one site. Aphanomyces affected trials were continued. Rhizomania and Aphanomyces trials were planted to stand at 4.5" spacing. More detailed information will be printed later in the Sugarbeet Research and Extension Reports (www.sbreb.org).
Click here to open a pdf file with the following trials information:
- List of varieties approved for sale to Crystal growers.
- Three-year, all districts, performance of approved varieties.
- Mhd/Hlb district, three-year performance of approved varieties.
- Crk/EGF district, three-year performance of approved varieties.
- Drayton district, three-year performance of approved varieties.
- Three-year, all districts, performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Mhd/Hlb district, three-year performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Crk/EGF district, three-year performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Drayton district, three-year performance of approved varieties with commercial seed planted.
- Two-year performance of all approved varieties (full market & specialty) from 16 non-disease sites.
- Two-year performance of specialty (Aphanomyces, Rhizomania, and Rhizoctonia) approved varieties.
- One-year performance of specialty Rhizomania approved varieties under various disease levels.
- Soil test results from all trial locations.
Herbicide resistant varieties developed using biotechnology (GMO) will not be allowed to be sold, given away, distributed, or planted in year 2004. Data for biotech entries are not included since they are not approved for sale.
Before purchasing seed, please check to make sure the varieties you are buying are on the current approval list. In accordance with the grower contract, the cooperative has the option to refuse to purchase beets of a non-approved variety. If you have questions, please contact the Crystal Technical Services Center or your Agriculture Department.
Download Trials in Excel format (Grower Mailing - 3 year data)
Links to 2003 data only follow:
William S. Niehaus
Official Trial Manager