565 - PEST ALERTS: Don't be without them
Pest alert updates by text message were offered for the first time in 2011. The pest alerts are available to shareholders, agriculturists and allied industry. The messages serve as an early warning system to alert participants that weather conditions are favorable for specific insect or disease problems. The overall objective is to maximize effectiveness of pesticide applications and profitability of your beet crop.
Manage the following pests more effectively with timely text message alerts
Thanks to Dr. Khan, NDSU/UM for Rhizoctonia photo.
Available Pest Alerts
- Soil temperature for Rhizoctonia fungicide timing.
- GDD for application of second insecticide granules for root maggots.
- GDD for peak fly emergence and post emergence insecticide applications
- Daily infection value alerts for very favorable Cercospora development conditions.
Allied Industry Signup
- Yes - the alerts will also be provided to allied industry.
- You will be emailed an Excel spreadsheet to select the specified alerts you desire.
- You can select a maximum of 5 NDAWN stations
- Fill in the phone number you want to use, your cell phone provider, and email the spreadsheet back to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kathy then will register you to receive the alerts.
Specific Pest Alert messages
- Soil temperature for Rhizoctonia fungicide timing
One alert when "a 2 day average soil temperature reaches 60ºF"
One alert when "a 2 day average soil temperature reaches 65ºF"
One alert when "a 2 day average soil temperature reaches 70ºF"
- Second insecticide granule timing for root maggot when accumulated soil GDD reaches 450.
- An alert just before peak root maggot fly emergence based on accumulated soil GDD of 590.
- An Advisory regarding favorable weather for Cercospora "each time a 2 day, daily infection value is 7 or greater."
Ask your Agriculturist or Ag Office Coordinator for assistance with Pest Alert signup
How will shareholders signup to receive Pest Alerts?
- Sign up at www.crystalsugar.com
- Click the Shareholder Records link
- Enter Username and Password - Click the Pest Alert Registration button at the bottom left of the page
- Select which alerts you want to receive
- Select which NDAWN stations you wish to receive alerts from (select a maximum of 5 NDAWN stations).
- Select which cell phone provider you use
- Designate your cell phone number
What weed legacy will you leave?
For almost every year from 1970-2008 weeds were identified as the most serious production problem in sugarbeet. Roundup Ready® sugarbeets dramatically changed that situation with the best weed control ever achieved. The most convenient and effective weed control program is aggressively being threatened by resistant weed development. Will you ignore resistant weed development in all crops in your rotation and leave a legacy of unwarranted weed control challenges for the future? On the other hand will you adopt PROACTIVE resistant weed control strategies and a legacy of future successful use of Roundup Ready® technology for sugarbeets?
For more information:
- Go to crystalsugar.com then Gold Standards, then Weed Control
- Ask your agriculturist for assistance
- Ask your crop consultant for assistance