505 - Three Best Crops In A Row - Why Not?
The 2006 and 2007 crops were the best two in American Crystal's history. It will certainly be a challenge, but reaching similar yield levels is definitely possible with average or better weather in 2008. Several factors like Roundup Ready®, XBeet, new fungicides and others will make significant contributions to this possibility for 2008. Every grower needs to take advantage of the many learning opportunities available to them this winter to make the most of new practices and technology. "It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."-- W. Edwards Deming.
Learning Opportunities Promote Wise Change and Survival
- NDSU/U of MN grower seminars
- Your Way To Grow meetings
- International Sugarbeet Institute
- 2007 Sugarbeet Research and Extension Reports
- ACSC Fact Sheets and brochures
- NDSU/UM Extension bulletins
- Contracting meeting with your agriculturist
- 2008 Sugarbeet Pocket Guide
NDSU/UM Extension Seminars
|January 29, 2008
||Fargo Holiday Inn
|February 5, 2008
||Alerus Center, Grand Forks
|February 7, 2008
||Parish Center, Grafton
|Managing Root Rot Disease
|Sugarbeet Production After Wheat, Corn & Soybean
|Cercospora Leaf Spot & Rhizomania Control and Management
|Insect Control In Sugarbeet
|Weed Control In Roundup Ready® Beets
Winter 2008 "Your Way to Grow" Meeting Topics
- Strategies to maximize production on reduced acres
- Production practices of high yield producers
- Weed control with Roundup Ready® beets
- The Prepile Payment System
- Agriculturist RSA plans
- 2007 harvest wrap up
Need To Know Topics from Recent Research Funded by Grower Check-off Dollars
- Impact of previous crop on sugarbeet yields and quality
- Benefits of liming
- Micronutrient use and benefits
- Roundup for weed control
- Which Triazole Fungicide is best for sugarbeet
- Rhizoctonia survey on sugarbeet, corn and soybean
No Need to Cultivate Roundup Ready® Sugarbeets Dr. Alan Dexter evaluated the need to cultivate Roundup ready® and Liberty Link sugarbeets in 1997, 1998 and 1999. The data for Roundup Ready® trials is shown in table 1.
Table 1. Influence of cultivation on yield of Roundup Ready® sugarbeets at 5 locations from 1997-1999.
|Number of Cultivation||Harvest Population||Sugar (%)||Yield (T/A)||RSA (lbs)|
- Cultivation reduced stand significantly at 4 of 5 locations
- Percent sugar was not effected in any year
- Tonnage was significantly reduced at 2 of 5 locations
- RSA was significantly reduced at 2 of 5 locations
- Cultivated sugarbeet never resulted in a significant increase in revenue per acre
- Research was conducted on Wheatville loam and Fargo clay soil types.
Quotes From Juvenal:
"All wish to possess knowledge, but few, comparatively speaking, are willing to pay the price."
Quotes From Rudyard Kipling:
"I keep six honest serving-men (They taught me all I knew;) Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who"